Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Frequently asked questions around the resources sector and COVID-19

View below

What are the current travel restrictions in Queensland?

Travel into Queensland is current restricted. Any person travelling into Queensland must evidence that they are an ‘exempt resident’ or ‘exempt person’ in order to enter the State. Certain resource industry workers qualify as a ‘exempt person’.

For more information, please see the border restrictions section.


What happens if a staff member is diagnosed with COVID-19?

Once diagnosed, the worker must follow the relevant Self-isolation for Diagnosed Cases of COVID-19 Direction from Queensland Health. In particular there are limitations on the method of travel used.

For more information, please see the isolation of diagnosed cases section on the Industry protocols page.


How do I implement social distancing in my business?

Implementing social distancing practices in the workplace is necessary to reduce the spread of the virus. For the resource industry, this can include: working from home (where practicable) and implementing social distancing on site (including travel to and from site).

For more information including examples of best practice, please see the social distancing section.


What if I can’t comply with my tenure or environmental authority and related regulatory requirements?

Due to the impacts of COVID-19, many proponents will be forced to reduce activities on their operations. The Department of Environment and Science and the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy have issued updates about compliance with tenure obligations. The Department of Environment and Science has published a Covid-19 related compliance issue notification form  for companies who are looking to the Department for relief from compliance with low risk conditions such as monitoring requirements, and on 21 May 2020 the Justice and Other Legislation (COVID-19 Emergency Response) Amendment Act 2020 was passed by the Queensland parliament amending the EP Act to allow for the Minister, by signed notice published on the department’s website, to make a declaration giving a stated holder of a stated relevant approval an exemption from complying with a stated condition of the approval.

QRC has also written to the Queensland Premier to request flexibility on all tenure requirements due to the pandemic.

For more information, please see the Government updates section and QRC correspondence section.

What Government assistance is available?

The Federal Government is offering economic assistance to those affected by COVID-19, including businesses. Please see the ‘Financial Support’ section of the Australia Government COVID-19 webpage.


Is there industry standard practice for COVID-19 management?

Yes. The peak resource bodies have developed National Principles and Protocols to guide company initiatives during the pandemic. These protocols outline agreed industry practice to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and manage operations during this time. Of particular note are guidance for engagement with indigenous stakeholders, travel screening and social distancing practices on site.

For more information please see the National principles and protocols section.

Should I be engaging with community/landholders/indigenous stakeholders at this time?

For guidance on stakeholder engagement, please see community contact section.


Do I need a Health Plan if I don’t have an interstate workforce?

If you don’t have an interstate workforce a Health Plan is not a necessity. However, it is advisable as best practice for all Queensland resource companies to have a Health Plan during the pandemic period.

For more information please see the travel impacts page.


Do I need to provide my employees with a letter evidencing employment if they travelling within the State?

If your employees are not traveling from another state into Queensland, they are not required to have a letter evidencing employment. However, given the increased anxiety and police presence at airports and on roads, it is advisable for all companies to provide travelling staff with a letter evidencing employment.

For more information please see the travel impacts page.